UJ MBA Programme
JBS is the newest business school in Johannesburg. We are ideally located in the hub of the financial and economic heartbeat of Africa. As such, we are well placed to promote collaborative learning and industry insights through our strong relationships with business leaders and entrepreneurs in Johannesburg and throughout the continent.
The MBA like no other
The purpose of the Johannesburg Business School (JBS) is clear. We want to equip people to grow small- and medium-size businesses and by so doing create jobs and expand our economy.
is exciting. As a JBS student, you will experience an innovative
teaching style geared to the complex environment of the Fourth
Industrial Revolution (4IR), yet at the same time remain authentically
African. Our emphasis is on practical and useable knowledge that will
have a direct benefit to your business.
The three areas of knowledge that you need to master to be successful in business are covered on the JBS MBA:
- SELF – Finding your purpose and managing yourself
- ENTERPRISE – Knowing what it takes to run a successful, sustainable business
- ENVIRONMENT– Understanding the context of business in society International
International Learning Experience
At JBS, we recognise the importance of being a part of international, creative, innovative and intellectual networks. JBS has close community links with other business schools internationally, broadening its educational reach.
Learn how to do
An Applied Learning Approach
The MBA programme at JBS is intense and demanding for a reason, and that is to deliver as much value to you as possible, in a short time. The value to you comes from being able to apply what you learn back at work. Our teaching method ensures that this happens.
Our Teaching Method
Our philosophy of teaching is that new knowledge must have impact. Not knowledge for knowledge sake but knowledge that will benefit SMEs directly. The bridge between the classroom and business is built into the learning process. Out with chalk and talk, instead we have debate, dialogue, experiential learning and we promote the use of toolkits to get things done. At all times teaching is relevant, practical and geared to the technologically rich environment of business.
In our commitment to personal attention and development, each MBA candidate will be allocated a mentor throughout the programme.
The underlying themes in our teaching
Three themes run through our teaching of the different subjects, these are:
- Dashboard Measures
A key component of the learning is about each student discovering his/her purpose, and then moving on to be a happy, agile and resilient business leader. Teaching takes place in a context. With this in mind, debates in the classroom cover the ethical, environmental and social concerns that confront business people in South Africa.
A clear and focused business orientation
You want to learn about business from people who have been there rather than from those that have merely researched the field. We have a group of “professors of practice” who are business people who will lecture on the MBA. They bring to the classroom their vast knowledge and experience of business, while integrating it with leading edge theory. The local Faculty is supported by visiting professors from leading business schools in Europe, America and India.
To keep students abreast of what is current in business trends; most modules include guest presenters who are running their own successful businesses and who will share their knowledge and experience with the MBA class.
In addition to formal classroom time, JBS runs ‘Master Classes’ and networking events, where leading socio-political or business figures in the country present a topical issue to both inform and spark debate among the audience.
Opportunities for international study
A major advantage for our students is the option to undertake their MBA electives at our international partner schools. For many students, this is the highlight of their MBA. These partnerships allow them to gain the perfect mix of local and international knowledge on growing businesses.
‘Travel broadens the mind’
In the international study tour segment of the JBS MBA, students undertake a tour of approximately 10 days to either China, Argentina or India. On these study tours, students will have the opportunity to experience new cultures and visit leading organisations in host countries
MBA Curriculum & Course Structure
The MBA’s core modules:
- Orientation and Teamwork (two full days)
- People Management
- Contemporary Management
- Competitive Strategy: Winning in the market place
- Accounting and Financial Management
- ICT Driven Decision-Making in the 4th Industrial Revolution
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Innovative Marketing
- Economics and International Business
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the 4th Industrial Revolution
- Business in Society and Ethics
- Leadership in the Growing Business
A selection of three
Electives are undertaken after the completion of core modules. The choice of electives allows students to pursue their own interests and focus on a specific subject area for example, digital economy. Students can select their three electives from several that are on offer each year.
The MBA Capstone Project
There is no onerous research report in the JBS MBA. In keeping with our belief that new knowledge must have impact, the Capstone Project is where you bring to bear all that you have learnt on the MBA to tackle a real business opportunity or challenge in your company, and come up with a workable solution. Each student will have a mentor who acts as a guide and a sounding board to ensure that the project has the desired outcome.
MBA duration & course structure
The duration of the MBA is 24 months for module work and the Capstone Project. Diligent students should be able to complete all the requirements in 21 months.
- There are two streams, Saturdays or Early Bird lectures will run twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Both streams have two lectures a week of three hours each.
- Two lectures
- 08:30 – 15:30 (includes lunch)
|Early Bird Classes|
- Two mornings a week (Tue & Thurs)
- 06:30 - 09:30 (includes breakfast)
Why do the JBS MBA?
We are aware that you have many choices when it comes to MBAs. There are distinct advantages in doing your MBA at the Johannesburg Business School.
- If your interest is in business, particularly in the success of small- and medium-size businesses, then the JBS MBA is designed for you
- Our classes will be small to ensure each student receives individual attention
- We will actively facilitate the transfer of learning and critical business skills from the classroom, to the workplace, through the use of applied projects and dedicated mentors
- You will be stimulated to think critically about your current business, and what you need to do to grow your business
- Your main project for the JBS MBA is not a research report, but rather a practical business report on how you can improve the performance of your business, either through new opportunities or through efficiencies and cost cutting
- You will learn from, and engage with, highly respected local and international expert faculty and business practitioners
- The final reason to do your MBA at JBS is because it will be an exciting learning journey committed to real world results which will add credibility to your Curriculum Vitae and heighten your value in the market place
How to apply
A step-by-step guide to assist you to register is available:
To be considered for the MBA you need to have:
- A four-year undergraduate degree or an undergraduate plus postgraduate degree or diploma
- A minimum of five years’ work experience for the part-time programme
- A level of mathematics literacy: NQF 04 matriculation pass in mathematics or equivalent (preferred but not essential) i.e., demonstrated mathematics literacy
- Be proficient in English
- Successfully complete the JBS MBA admissions tests and interviews
- A SA study permit if you are an international applicant
Admission to the MBA is a competitive process and there are limited places available, therefore meeting the above requirements does not automatically guarantee acceptance on to the MBA.
The total fee for the MBA is R 260 000
This includes the following:
- All tuition fees
- IT access
- Text books and
- The cost of travel and accommodation for the international study tour
The fee will be billed over the two years of study.
Closing date for applications
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2019
MBA Information Sessions
|Johannesburg Business School||18 July||17:30 for 18:00 to 20:00|||
|Johannesburg Business School||20 July||08:00 for 08:30 to 10:30|||
|Johannesburg Business School||3 August ||08:00 for 08:30 to 10:30|
|Johannesburg Business School||14 August ||17:30 for 18:00 to 20:00|||
|Johannesburg Business School||12 September ||17:30 for 18:00 to 20:00||Click here to reserve your seat|
|Johannesburg Business School||14 September ||08:00 for 08:30 to 10:30||Click here to reserve your seat|
|Johannesburg Business School||8 October ||17:30 for 18:00 to 20:00||Click here to reserve your seat|
|Johannesburg Business School||12 October ||08:00 for 08:30 to 10:30||Click here to reserve your seat|
|Johannesburg Business School||26 October ||08:00 for 08:30 to 10:30||Click here to reserve your seat|