Every Entrepreneur a Storyteller
Storytelling is the most influential of all the arts, and invaluable in business. But don't just take our word for it, take it from two billionaires. Apple founder Steve Jobs said, "The most powerful person in the world is the storyteller. The storyteller sets the vision, values and agenda of an entire generation that is to come." Virgin founder Richard Branson agrees. "The story of Virgin – its ups and downs, opportunities and challenges – is what attracts people to our products and services, and also to work with us. We would be nothing without our story," he says.
For most people, mastering the craft and art of telling a good story well is challenging. Attend the intensive Every Leader a Storyteller programme and never again fear speaking before a group. Know that all your future oral communications will be memorable. The programme develops both fundamental and advanced storytelling skills, useful for novice and accomplished storytellers alike. Storytelling takes courage and creativity. These attributes will be instilled through practical exercises complimented by feedback from both a masterful storyteller and your peers. If you are a speaker, an executive, a manager, a marketing and / or sales professional, a trainer, a coach, a teacher, or any other leader, you will leave with the storytelling skills required to significantly enhance your personal power and influence.
Using storytelling as a leader has many benefits, including:
- Engaging followers and other audiences
- Influencing constructive attitudes and behaviours
- Inspiring positive change and transformation
- Motivating action
- Touching hearts and souls
- Engendering a sense of community
- Aligning people around a common identity
- Developing creativity – through inspiration, imagination, intuition and innovation
- Demonstrating a different and more effective way of getting high employee engagement
In this programme, you will learn:
- The differences between storytelling and other forms of communication.
- The essential elements of all stories.
- The different kinds of stories – anecdotal, biographical, historical and metaphorical – and how to apply them for different purposes as a leader.
- The different uses for storytelling in business – leading, learning, marketing, selling, strategizing, and so forth.
- To create and use your business's over-arching story and sub-stories of brands, products, people, and processes.
- To create new, original and compelling stories to creatively get your message across.
- Where and how to find stories for use in business.
As an entrepreneur you will benefit in the following ways:
- Gain attractiveness as a charismatic communicator.
- Be more entertaining and engaging as a speaker.
- Increase confidence for all spheres of life.
- Communicate complex concepts in simple, understandable and powerful ways.
- Expand arcs of influence over others.
- Strengthen the creative aspects of being - inspiration, imagination, intuition and innovation.
- Enrich a distinctive personality, and boldly stand out from the boring, mediocre and other also-rans in the crowded marketplace.
Peter Christie a.k.a. Big Chief Talking Bull
ranks among the world's most experienced business storytellers. Part of
the leadership group for the first Storytelling in Organisations
workshop at the International School of Storytelling in England, run in
1997, the first of its kind on the globe, Peter has over 30 years'
experience of strategic storytelling. Author of 6 books on the subject,
122 of Peter's short stories relevant to leadership dynamics have
appeared in The Star newspaper. He has worked in South Africa,
England, and Mauritius, consulting to over 200 organisations over the
course of his career. He loves running unforgettable experiential
workshops where participants have 'serious fun,' learning the key skills
required to tell stories for leadership and other business purposes.
- Date: 20 - 21 June 2019
- Training venue: The Johannesburg Business School (Milpark, Cnr Berry Hertzog and Empire Road)
- Time: 08:30 – 16:00
- Facilitator: Peter Christie
- Fees: The cost is R6500 and UJ staff/alumni/postgrads is R6000
- +27 11 559 1783