A significant proportion of your most valuable personal time is devoted to your preparation for, and engagement, in an array of negotiations that touch on every aspect of your life. Your success and failure in business (and, indeed, in many aspects of life itself) will be correlated with your ability to negotiate effectively. Your personal income, life choices, the quality of your life, those persons with whom you associate, and those from whom you disassociate, will all depend upon your capacity to negotiate.
It is very surprising therefore, that a subject that is so crucial to our business success and indeed our pursuit of personal happiness is so often neglected. This is in spite of the fact that there is an abundance of knowledge that can be used to dramatically improve our success. Negotiation theory and principles are highly developed and constantly evolving. Negotiation is unquestionably one of the most crucial management disciplines and life skills. The study of negotiation, which distils into the question of how one might create value by improving upon our ability to achieve influence, and compliance in a transaction, is a human theme that concerns us all the time.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
At the end of this course you will have achieved the following negotiation outcomes:
- You will have gained a unifying, powerful and generally applicable negotiation methodology.
- Learnt about your own negotiation signals, both verbal and non-verbal and worked on them to improve your personal brand and effectiveness. The delegates will use the negotiation concepts to discover how best to apply their own unique negotiation approach that is congruent with their personal attributes.
- Gained an understanding of personal negotiation strengths, weakness and style, and, applied the specifically designed negotiation preparation methodology to enhance your deal-making effectiveness.
- Accessed world-class sets of negotiation tools, methodologies and applied the seven-point preparation method, and, business model generation to negotiating effective deals.
- Reflected upon how important it is to maximize exposure to excellent people and minimize exposure to toxic people.
- Been provided with basic knowledge to maximize career opportunities with a sense of renewal.
- Differentiate yourself in the market place.
- Noting that negotiators with the greatest knowledge and choice of negotiation concepts and flexibility of behavior are the most successful.
- Understood the basic principles of deep-rooted conflict negotiation
is a Senior Lecturer in Negotiation at Wits Business School. He is also
the Visiting Professor of Negotiation at the Pontifical Catholic
University in Santiago Chile where he has presented the Negotiation on
Deals Between Developing and Developed Countries Elective in Latin
specialized interest is in teaching, researching and consulting in the
area of negotiation. He is particularly interested in deals between
developing and developed countries and he has written-up negotiation
cases (usually deal prototypes) for many management teams that have been
successfully concluded. Geoff has a PhD in negotiation from Wits University. The title of his doctorate is; "Learning Amongst Enemies – A Phenomenological Study of the South African Constitutional Negotiations from 1985-1996." Geoff's LLM thesis was conducted as a comprehensive post-doctoral research degree on: "South
Africa's Voluntary Relinquishment of its Nuclear Arsenal and Accession
to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons in Terms of
International Law." Geoff has a MBA Degree from Stellenbosch University and Bachelor of Social Science Degree in Psychology from the University of Cape Town.
- Date: 09 - 11 April 2019 for 2.5 days
- Time: 09:00 – 15:00
- Venue: Johannesburg Business School Towers (Cnr Barry Hertzog and Empire Road, Milpark)
- Facilitator: Dr. Geoff Heald
- Fee: R8500
- +27 11 559 1783