Introduction to Blockchain for Business
Blockchain has the potential to be the most disruptive technological innovation since the internet, affecting every aspect of business - there is no industry that will not be affected in one way or another. Despite this, there is great uncertainty as to what blockchain technology is all about, and what its true potential can be.
This masterclass is the definitive introduction to blockchain for a non-developer audience - whether you are running your own business or are part of an enterprise. It has been created by Professor of Practice Monica Singer CA (SA), who is also the South African lead for Consensys, the biggest blockchain company in the world.
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?
- Separate hype from reality by developing a critical understanding of the foundational concepts of blockchain and decentralisation
- Beyond the technology, you will be introduced to the philosophy behind decentralisation and why there is so much excitement around it
- Understand the potential risks and opportunities of blockchain to your business and profession
- Gain comprehensive knowledge and practical insights into capabilities of blockchain, from a potential business perspective
- Consider the current and future use of blockchain, and what this means for your organisation by examining applications of the technology through various business use cases
- Learn how you and your company can benefit and profit from blockchain technology
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course will benefit anyone who is interested in understanding and learning the foundations of blockchain technology - from business leaders and managers needing a better understanding of the technology, to teachers, technologists, and others looking for an introductory stepping stone into the world of blockchain.
Singer is a South African Chartered Accountant and in May 2019 was
appointed Professor of Practice in the School of Accounting in the
University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
She was the first
CEO of South Africa's Central Securities Depository, Strate (Pty) Ltd
which she set up in 1998. Monica is currently the South Africa Lead for
Consensys, an international venture production studio using blockchain
technology to build distributed applications on the Etherum world
computer. She also represents Consensys on the Accounting Blockchain
Coalition (ABC) board. ABC is defining market practices in accounting,
auditing and tax for digital assets and distributed ledger technologies,
Monica has held numerous board and
advisory positions. She was the Vice President of the African Middle
East Regional Association of CSDs (AMEDA) and a member of the World
Forum of CSDs (WFC). She was also involved in a number of charitable
organisations including Strate Charity Shares and chaired for 10 years
Afrika Tikkun Investment Trust.
She previously worked at the
World Bank in Washington DC in 1995/96 and was the Technical Director of
the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) from 1990
Monica has been recognised over the last 20 years with
many awards, the most notable being the first winner of the Conscious
Company award in 2017.
- +27 11 559 1783
- Date: Thursday, 5 September 2019
- Time: 9.00 – 12.00
- Venue: Johannesburg Business School, corner of Barry Hertzog and Empire Roads, Milpark
- Cost: R750 per person (including a light lunch)