About this programme:
Doing business in a globalised world means not only having to transcend the theories of cost accounting and excel formulae making, but it also means being able to apply them within complex real-world challenges.
Financial and business acumen are crucial in understanding how a business works, and what it takes to make money. By combining financial literacy - the ability to understand numbers on financial statements, and business literacy - understanding how strategies, behaviours and decisions not only affect the numbers but also drive profitability and sustainable growth, this online programme takes the complexity and mystery out of financial and economic analysis. It provides delegates with an understanding of how to create, position, and deliver a value proposition to customers, and measure success through profitability, cash flow, and shareholder value, using case studies and a business simulation exercise. This programme takes a storytelling approach, which is critical in giving context and meaning to the numbers and facts behind any business.
Programme objectives include:
- Understanding of key financial and business concepts, the “metrics that matter” such as cash flows, income statements compilation, cash flow forecasting, return on equity etc., to effectively manage, lead, and execute your business’s strategy,
- Connect day-to-day decisions and activities with fundamental financial, functional, and business performance metrics and goals relevant to the context your business operates in,
- Develop problem solving and critical thinking skills for making better decisions that directly impact revenue generation and cost management.
- Highly engaging and practical learning through the use of case studies and a business simulation exercise.
- Storytelling around financial successes and struggles to demonstrate the context, meaning and impact of numbers and data on a business.
Who should attend?
- Business owners and entrepreneurs requiring a better understanding of key financial and business concepts.
- Managers in areas such as HR, operations, sales, marketing who will benefit from understanding the implications and impact of their decision-making across functions.
Desmond Thomas, Leadership, Business Acumen, Management Consultant
Desmond completed his BCompt Hons in 2005 after which he joined Lloyd Viljoen Accountants & Auditors as a Trainee Article Clerk. After completing his articles he qualified as a Registered Chartered Accountant in 2007 and progressed as an Audit Manager. He continued his career in Auditing with PwC spending two years in Bermuda as an audit manager.
Upon his return to South Africa in 2010, he joined SAB Miller Africa as a financial controller. During this time he looked after East and West Africa from a commercial and financial point of view. After gaining significant experience in the financial field he joined Group Strategy with Edcon in 2012 in order to work in other business functions. In 2015 he exited the corporate world to fulfill his entrepreneurial passion and is now a partner in Interscope Advisory Services, heading up the Management Consulting Department. Utilising his corporate experience to grow SME’s and give them access to markets that see them grow to the next level.
Michal Luptak, Co-founder of Dlala Nje and Keep Good Company:
Michal “Loopy” is a rehabilitating chartered accountant from South Africa and no longer wishes to practice. After qualifying in 2012 from EY Africa, he turned to social entrepreneurship and co-founded Dlala Nje (‘Just play’ in isiZulu).
An energetic enterprise aimed at creating opportunities for young creatives in an under resourced neighbourhood of the Johannesburg CBD. Dlala Nje operates from an iconic and equally negatively-perceived building called Ponte City. Loopy stepped down from Dlala Nje in 2019 and began a new educational venture called Keep Good Company. An experience design lab driving behavioural change for business and government in South Africa.
Since 2004, Loopy has traversed the South African punk rock music scene and played in various bands as a guitarist and kazoo player. Now a student at The Market Theatre Laboratory, honing in on Performance Art. Michal Luptak is currently exploring a natural emergence of three unique fields: Theatre; Financial Education and Social Entrepreneurship. Recognised by Mail&Guardian as 200 Young South Africans and featured in Forbes Africa magazine.