CONFERENCE CALL FOR PAPERS GLOBAL DYNAMICS OF COAL MINING AND JUST TRANSITION TO HYDROGEN ENERGY IN SOUTH AFRICA AND THE CONTINENT 18-20 OCTOBER 2023
ABSTRACT AND MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSIONS:
• Abstracts should be no more than 250 words long.
• They must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Draft manuscripts of accepted abstracts must be between 6000 and 8000 words.
• The final manuscripts will be submitted for a hydrogen book publication.
• Finally, we encourage contributions from scholars at all levels.
• Abstract submission deadline: June 15, 2023
• Draft manuscript submission deadline: September 15, 2023
• Final draft manuscript submissions: February 2024
Sustainable Development Goal 7 aims to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, which millions of Africans don’t yet have. Coal has been a dominant energy resource in South Africa for more than a century, but along with other African countries must consider renewable energy sources to balance the effects of such a high-emitting industry. Moreover, in pursuit of a just energy transition, South Africa’s Presidential Climate Commission is also committed to ensuring that communities tied to high-emitting industries (e.g. through employment in the coal industry) are not left behind.
South Africa, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, and Namibia are looking towards green hydrogen as a potential alternative
energy resource, and to achieve climate change objectives. This conference which is co-funded by the National Research Foundation and the Human Sciences Research Council will explore the ability of these countries to implement a just energy transition from coal to hydrogen energy with global partners and stakeholders. It will also look at ways to balance the impacts of such a shift considering current socioeconomic and economic challenges.
Abstracts may be submitted on any topic relevant to the aforementioned theme or click here for more topics