Sport Psychology and Academic Advising
The Unit provides service to the seven-high performance-sporting codes and five additional competitive codes, in terms of tournament preparation and ensuring the athletes perform at the optimum level academically and on the field.
The Unit's role is to provide the following services to the atudent-athlete and coaching staff:
- Identify the scope of sport science, medical and rehabilitation needs within the high-performance sporting codes along with coaches and managers
- Implement an athlete support programme with the medical services as per the high-performance sporting code's needs
- Manage the execution and progress of the periodised plan within each high-performance sporting code to ensure success.
- Meet with coaches and sport managers to identify the specific needs for the sporting code leading up to major tournaments such as USSA and Varsity Sport tournaments.
- Providing Sport Psychology and Academic Advice to the Student-Athletes.
- Training facilities through the gymnasiums
|Life skills training and information to students to cope with the demands of being a student-athlete||Team analysis and Individual role analysis||Development of study skills; and to provide students with the necessary assistance to cope with current study demands||Guidance in terms of qualification choice|
|Skills training and the necessary support to high-performance athletes during preparation, tournaments and on game day||Team Effectiveness sessions||Logistical support for tests when participating in tournaments off campus||Guidance in terms of application procedures|
|Individual Coaching sessions||Guiding the Captain/Leadership support group||Collaboration with Academic Support Department in terms of referral of student-athletes||Career Counselling|
|Collaboration between PsyCAD in terms of referral of student-athletes||Team Building initiatives||||Guidance in terms of registration|
Jacqueline Du Toit, Manager: Sport Psychology and Academic Advising
011 559 4154