Centre for Academic Technologies (CAT)
The primary purpose of the Centre for Academic Technologies (CAT) is to promote the use of innovative academic technologies to
- provide a richer learning experience for our students, and
- fulfil our vision of 21st century skilled academia at the University of Johannesburg.
We do this by providing:
- Access to an integrated website for all UJ services (via the uLink portal) – also available on your smartphone.
- Blackboard (UJ’s learning management system) for a rich learning and teaching experience, including obtaining lecture notes and study guides, communication between lecturers and students, announcements, submitting assignments, and doing electronic assessments and grading.
- The CAT helpdesk for Blackboard technical support for students and staff.
- Self-service and online resources to develop technical skills.
- uHelp – an online platform with guidelines on the use of Blackboard and Library resources.
- Skills development opportunities, including basic computer and tablet skills workshops, an online MS Office training module, and information sessions for first-year students on all available CAT and UJ online services.
- Faculty-specific support by Instructional Designers to lecturing staff regarding their Blackboard modules or any technology related queries.
- Blackboard workshops for staff members and students on request.
- Academic writing and research tools.
For more information please visit our Services page.
Phone: +27 11 559 3556