Year Leader: 1st YearModule Leader: Painting
Painting I, II & III
Studio Practice III & IV
Qualifications: NDip: Fine Art; BTech: Fine Art MTech: Fine Art (UJ)
Shonisani Netshia lectures in painting. She received her BTech: Fine Art in the Department of Visual Art in 2007 and in 2010 completed a Magister Technologiae Fine Art in the Department of Visual Art for her dissertation titled: From Colonial to Post-Colonial: Shifts in cultural meanings in Dutch lace and Shweshwe fabric. In her most of her works she uses Isishweshwe fabric as a visual references in the production of large to small scale paintings. In these, she explores how, through painterly alteration and transformation, shifts can occur in the meanings of patterns derived from these culturally-loaded sources. In her recent works she negotiates her role as a homemaker, nurturer, working mom, and wife by drawing from a selection of 'culturally-loaded' objects from her mother's home. These objects symbolise and carry with them a sense of nostalgia from a specific era in her mother's life, and hers. Through the use of paint as a medium, she explores and grapples with the reality of her role as a woman and mother, as well as how this role is shifting when compared to her mother's role.
- 2015: Assistant curator of South African Art in a Time of Democracy. 6th Beijing International Art Biennale, China.
- 2017: 'The same but not quite': Respectability, creative agencies and self-expression in black middle-class Soweto homes. Image & Text: Special Edition No29.
Recent Conference Papers:
- 2017: International Conference on SOTL in the South. Title: Enlivening pedagogical methods in the classroom through visual arts.
- 2016: 31st Annual SAVAH conference. Title: Rethinking Art History and Visual Culture in a contemporary context.
- 2016: VIAD Roundtable. Title: Intimate Archives / Autobiographical Acts. Personal surfacings as expressed through material culture programme.
Alternate Contact:Tel: 27-11-559 1117 (Mrs. E. Majola, Secretary, Department of Visual Art)E: eldam@ uj.ac.za
- 2016 - Ceramic plate exhibition - Group exhibition, Arts Association, Pretoria.
- 2016 - I Objekt – Group exhibition, Art it is Gallery, Johannesburg.
- 2016 - Performing Wo/Man - Group exhibition, curated by Derek Zietsman, NWU Gallery, North-West University, Potchefstroom.
- 2013 - Benetton Art Project.
- 2013 - Reflective Conversations - North-West University Gallery. In collaboration with Deirdre Pretorius and Sibongile Tshabalala.
- 2012 - She@InToto - Group exhibition, Intoto Gallery, Johannesburg.
- 2012 - Engage - World Arts Day Exhibition, Collaboration with Lucas Thobejane, Pretoria.
- 2011 - Young Curator. Aardklop Arts Festival. NWU, Potchefstroom.