VANCOUVER REFERENCING METHOD
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Sample References
INFORMATION LIBRARIAN: HEALTH SCIENCES BLOG
SUBJECT SPECIFIC DATABASES
- AMED: Alternative Medicine (EbscoHost, abstracts): Covers alternative treatments complementary medicine, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation, podiatry, palliative care. Bibliographic references with some abstracts from European journals since 1995.
- CINAHL: (EbscoHost, abstracts): Provides comprehensive coverage of the English journal literature related to nursing and the allied health fields such as Cardiopulmonary technology, Emergency services, Health education, Med/Lab technology, Medical assistance, Medical records Occupational therapy, Physical therapy, Radiologic technology, Respiratory therapy, Consumer health and Alternatvie/Complementary therapies. It also provides references to new books and audiovisuals in nursing and allied health fields, dissertations, selected conference proceedings and standards of professional practice. Links to selected full text articles are available.
- Current Contents Connect: Clinical medicine (CM) (ISI Web of Knowledge, abstracts, 1998): Provides access to complete bibliographic information from articles, editorials, meeting abstracts, commentaries, and all other significant items in recently published editions of over 1,120 of the world’s leading clinical medicine journals and books in a broad range of categories.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center and Alternative Health Module (Infotrac, 1980+): comprehensive resource with health information including articles, videos, statistical information, and alternative and complementary medicine.
- Health Source- Consumer Edition (EbscoHost, full-text): Provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
- Health Source- Nursing/Academic Edition (EbscoHost, full-text): This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines
- MANTIS: Alternative & Natural Therapy (available on campus only, password required): Bibliographic database that provides coverage for health care disciplines not significantly represented in the major biomedical databases. International in coverage, the database contains references from more than 1,200 journals, with preference given to peer-reviewed journals.
- MEDLINE: (EbscoHost & ISI Web of Knowledge, abstracts) Created by the National Library of Medicine. Covers the international literature on biomedicine, including the allied health fields and the biological and physical sciences, humanities, and information science as they relate to medicine and health care. Information is indexed from approximately 4 600 journals published world-wide.
- Parasitology (Ovid, abstracts, 1973+): Covers parasitology in its broadest sense, encompassing helminthology, protozoology, medical and veterinary entomology and mycology. The database contains bibliographic citations and abstracts from the scientific literature on all aspects of the biology and control of parasites and vector-borne diseases of humans and domestic and wild animals (including fish).
- PILOTS (CSA, abstracts, 1871+): Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental-health sequelae of traumatic events.
- PsychINFO (EbscoHost, abstract, 1887+): Covers the professional and academic literature in psychology and related disciplines including medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, and other areas. PsychINFO’s coverage is worldwide and includes references and abstracts to over 1500 journals in more that 35 languages and book chapters and books in the English language.
- Sport Discus with full text (EbscoHost, full-text from 1985+): Provided by the Sport Information Resource Centre and offers comprehensive, bibliographic coverage of sport, fitness and related disciplines and contains over 600, 000 records with journal and book coverage and going back to 1800.
· Journal Citation Reports (JCR) (2005+)
· Nexus (SA current & Completed Research, need password)
· NDLTD (SabinetOnline: Int. Theses & Dissertations, abstracts)
· Refworks (Manage your references)
· UJDigispace (UJ Theses & Dissertations; Institutional Repositories)
SOUTH AFRICAN DATABASES
QUICK ONLINE REFERENCES