Department: Visual Art
Title: Associate Professor
Short Bio:Kim Berman is an Associate Professor in the Visual Art Department of the University of Johannesburg (UJ) and is the Executive Director of Artist Proof Studio in Newtown, Johannesburg. Kim Berman received her B.F.A. from the University of the Witwatersrand in 1981 and her M.F.A. in printmaking from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts and Tufts University, Mass, USA, in 1989. In 2009 she received her PhD from Wits University.
In 1991, together with Nhlanhla Xaba, she founded the Artist Proof Studio, a community printmaking Centre in Newtown (Johannesburg), which provides training and studio facilities to emerging artists. In 2000 she initiated Phumani Paper, a national poverty relief project funded by the Department of Science and Technology which set up papermaking enterprises across South Africa . The Papermaking Research and Development Unit launched South Africa’s first archival hand-papermaking mill which operates on the UJ campus. She established Community Based Research (CBR) as a research focus and specialization for a Masters qualification in the Visual Art Department at UJ. Kim Berman has lectured and exhibited widely in South Africa, Europe and the United States.
Exhibition: I organised and jointly curated a retrospective exhibition Coming of Age: 21 years of APS at the Johannesburg Art Gallery (May –July 2012) including a number of international and South African experts and artists to exhibit historical and current artists work in 18 gallery spaces. (http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/news-opinion/finer-things/2012-07-01/south-africa-print-studio/)
Exhibition: USA travelling exhibition hosted by Tufts University University May 31st -September 2012, and curated by Prof Pamela Allara, entitled “Boston-Johannesburg Connection through printmaking at the Artists' Proof Studio from the mid-1990s to the present”. The exhibition will travel to Southern Graphics Print Conference in Milwaukee in 2013.
Research Grant: Community Engaged Project (CEP) Division in the NRF: Arts based method for development (2011-2013). This project facilitates the introduction of a Community engagement service learning programme for 4th year Visual Art students and Masters students, and initiates cross disciplinary interventions in HaMakuya, a remote rural poverty node in Limpopo Province. This project is an opportunity to apply lessons learnt of collaborating with a community to co-produce local knowledge through participatory visual research strategies in a new site.
Research: Achieved an NRF rating of C-2
Community Engagement: I received the BASA Chairman’s Award on behalf of Artist Proof Studio at a function in Oct 2012
Creative Production: Participated in one of three solo exhibitions at the Everard Read Gallery: Duets with Egon, December 2012
- Book 2012: Kim Berman and Jane Hassinger co-edited by Susan Sellschop., Women on Purpose: The Resilience and Creativity of the Founding Women of Phumani Paper, University of Johannesburg, Desk Link Publishers.
(This book pays tribute to 26 of the original members of Phumani Paper in ten of the small papermaking enterprises in seven provinces of South Africa, with portraits by New York –based photographer, Dr Debbie Rasiel).
- Catalogue 2012: Coming of Age: 21 years of Artist Proof Studio, May 2012 pp 7-37.
- Article 2012: Creative Collaborations at Phumani Archival Mill. FADA Articulations/collaborations curated by Brenden Gray, 9-24 May, Art South Africa January 2012 p 54.
- Article 2012: Vedant Nanackchand and Kim Berman, Visual graphics for human rights, social justice, democracy and the public good, South African Journal of Education, 2012 EASA Volume 32(4), November 2012, pp 465-478
To link to this article: http://www.sajournalofeducation.co.za/index.php/saje
- Article 2012: Kim Berman & Lara Allen, Deepening students' understanding of democratic citizenship through arts-based approaches to experiential service learning, Journal of the South African Sociological Association, Special Issue – In Search of a Developmental University: Community Engagement in Theory and Practice (2012):, South African Review of Sociology, 43:2, 76-88
To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21528586.2012.694245
- Article 2012: Kim Berman, Artist as Change Agent: A Pedagogy of Practice in Artist Proof Studio, Teaching Artist Journal, 10:3, 145-156 Taylor & Francis group
To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15411796.2012.685698
- Article 2012: Kim Berman and Shoshana Zeldner: An arts-based collaborative intervention to promote medical male circumcision as a South African HIV and AIDS prevention strategy, Educational Research for Social Change, Vol 1 No 2 (November Edition 2012) pp. 55-70 online
To link to this article: http://ersc.nmmu.ac.za/articles/Vol1No2BermanKpp55-70.pdf
Recent Conference Papers:
- Conference Paper 2012: Voices in participatory art practices: a collaborative intervention between Artist Proof Studio and Sonke Gender Justice. 27th annual SAVAH Conference, Visual Dialogues 4-7 July 2012, UNISA, Pretoria
- International Roundtable: “Resilience, Arts and Social Transformation” from October 21 -26. Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies (PWIAS) under the “Program on Dispute Resolution”, Faculty of Law, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
The objectives of the roundtable are to bring researchers and practitioners together to advance the work of Social transformation and the Arts (STA) to advance the scholarship and legitimacy of the field, and to advance the understanding of assessment and evaluation in the field.
Conference: Southern Graphics Conference International; The Print: MKE conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin March 20-23 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
Panel Chair and presenter: International Exchanges at Artists Proof Studio: Building Agency through collaborative printmaking
Exhibition: 21 years of Collaboration and Exchange at Artist Proof Studio
Tel: +27 (0)11 559 1112
1st Floor FADA Building