The Principal Network was launched by UJ with the support of the Development Bank of South Africa on 28 October 2009. The Principal Network forms part of a joint project between the Faculty of Education and the Harvard Graduate School of Education focusing on education leadership development.
The Network is part of the Leadership Initiative. It serves as both a physical and virtual convener of school leaders and create communities of practice for them to work together to solve real problems and create change, school-by-school, to improve learning and teaching. This supportive environment, detached from the political and social context of the school, allows leaders to discuss issues and reflect on the challenges of leadership with their peers in collegial manner. The network serves as an ongoing resource for school leadership not only in the Central District of Johannesburg, where the Leadership Development Programme will be implemented, but also for school leaders throughout the country.
The Principal Network provides leaders with opportunities to build their knowledge, develop important leadership skills, access role models, reduce the sense of isolation that they often experience, increase their professional confidence and competence, and expose them to fresh ideas and problem-solving peer support. The benefits of membership of the Principal Network might include:
- Short workshops on key issues (i.e. budgeting, financial management/planning, human resource management, working with the district officials, parents, community stakeholders, etc.)
- Short credit-bearing learning modules that will include practice-based assignments
- Problem-solving and action planning to address real challenges in the school setting
- Coaching, mentoring, observation and feedback activities
- Visits to “best-practice” sites and dissemination of knowledge about best practices
- On-line newsletter and website, including resources for principals (articles, case studies, surveys, etc.)
- Opportunities for on-line professional development and leadership training modules (i.e. use of action research that focuses on supporting student learning and building effective organizational structures around these key processes)
The Princial Network is integrated into the Educational Leadership Institute that was established at the Soweto Campus of UJ. It comprises the practice-based component of the Institute that not only allows for participation in the leadership development programmes, but also informs the design and content of these programmes.
Dr Lloyd Conley
Tel: 011 559 2681
or Owen Stuurman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the Department of Educational Management for other details.
Download data card for membership here.